Anderson University

About AU

  AU >About AU

History

Anderson University traces its origin to one of the first institutions of higher learning for women in the United States. The Johnson Female Seminary opened in the village of Anderson in 1848. The founder was the Reverend William B. Johnson, a Baptist who was the first president of the Southern Baptist Convention.

The school the Reverend Mr. Johnson founded was forced to close during the Civil War and did not reopen; but in time a new generation carried on what had been begun at that institution. A group of public-spirited citizens, desirous of having an institution of higher learning in Anderson, offered 32 acres of land and $100,000 to the South Carolina Baptist Convention at their meeting in 1910. The convention nominated a group of trustees, and Anderson College was granted a charter in 1911 by the South Carolina General Assembly. In 1912, the College opened its doors and operated as a four-year college for women until 1930. In 1929, the South Carolina Baptist Convention approved the institution's transition to a junior college, the first in the state. The College became a coeducational two-year institution in 1930.

In December, 1989, the Board of Trustees voted to return the College to its status as a four-year institution, beginning with the fall semester of 1991. This decision was subsequently affirmed by a unanimous vote of the General Board of the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The first four-year class since 1930 graduated in May, 1993.

In the spring of 2005, Anderson's Board of Trustees voted for a change to university status for the institution to reflect the new addition of graduate programs and a reorganization of the academic divisions into colleges. On January 1, 2006, Anderson College became Anderson University.

The community of Anderson, having given birth to the University, has nurtured and supported the institution throughout the University's history. In turn, the University has provided intellectual, cultural, and recreational opportunities for the citizens of the Anderson area, and has made a significant contribution to the economy of the community.



Presidents of Anderson University

 Dr. John Alexander Chambliss  1912-1913
 Dr. John F. Vines  1913-1914
 Dr. James Pinckney Kinard   1914-1916
 Dr. John Ellington White  1916-1927
 Dr. Annie Dove Denmark  1928-1953
 Dr. Elmer Francis Haight   1953-1957
 Dr. John Edward Rouse  1957-1973
 Dr. Jesse Cordell Maddox  1973-1977
 Dr. Ray Pearce Rust  1978-1981
 Dr. Mark Lee Hopkins  1982-1994
 Dr. Lee Gardner Royce  1995-2002
 Dr. Evans P. Whitaker  2002-present


Anderson University © 2014 | 316 Boulevard, Anderson, South Carolina 29621 | 864-231-2000 or 1-800-542-3594 | Contact Us| Terms of Use