PHYSICAL PLANT DIRECTOR
Anderson University invites applications for the position of Physical Plant Director. Anderson University is a comprehensive, liberal arts institution affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Candidates with a strong Christian value system and lifestyle and a commitment to the integration of faith and discipline are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Procurement, the Physical Plant Director will manage the physical plant organization in the operation, maintenance, repair, and renovations in order to provide an environment which enhances the teaching and living environments of the university and is aesthetically pleasing and conducive to the learning process.
As the Physical Plant Director, responsibilities include:
Coordinates activities and manages performance of departmental staff, contractors, and others. Maintains highly trained and motivated staff to support departmental objectives. Approves payroll hours, time off requests, and assures proper staffing levels to meet needs of the university.
- Manages the hiring and disciplinary processes for the department and assure all performance appraisals are completed in a timely fashion.
- Maintains rapport with local fire department, codes officials, SCDHEC, and other third-party agencies to assure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Ensures minimum disruption of campus functions during maintenance, repair, and renovations of the facilities. Assures safe, continuous, and reliable operations of the facilities. Preserves and protects facility capital investments, subject to available fiscal resources.
- Assures communication with all university departments/personnel in a proactive manner whenever possible for outages, closures, and other impacts inherent with facilities management.
- Prepares and manages physical plant departmental budgets, including operations, maintenance, and utilities. Reviews departmental invoices for supplies and services and assure proper allocation of these expenses to the correct budgetary line. Periodically reviews the status of the budget and makes reallocations to assure operations are within the budgeted allocations.
- Establishes departmental goals, objectives, priorities, and schedules related to the physical facilities and services of the university.
- Champions the preventative and routine maintenance program for the facilities.
Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field. Master’s degree in a technical discipline desired. Five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in facilities or industrial operations and management, in which at least two years have been in a supervisory capacity. Experience in project management of complex projects and managing complex enterprises is preferred.
Additional qualifications include: a comprehensive knowledge of all phases of physical plant operation, including maintenance and repair of building’s systems (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, life-safety, etc.), including a firm understanding of code and regulatory requirements (SC building codes, EPA, OSHA, DHEC, etc.); a knowledge of planning, scheduling, supervision, and effective management techniques of contracted services; a firm understanding of safety practices, record keeping, and report writing; the ability to manage, plan, and administer a large plant operation and program and to supervise the work of others; the ability to maintain operating costs and other records and to make necessary operation and progress reports and to oversee planning for repairs, alterations, and construction; and the ability to deal effectively with a diverse population.
For full consideration, submit applications by October 15, 2012, however, review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until position is filled. Send letter of application, detailed resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Associate Vice President for Facilities and Procurement
Anderson, SC 29621
Applications may be submitted by email to: PhysicalPlantJob@andersonuniversity.edu
Anderson University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity within its faculty, staff, and students.