Study Room Policies
Updated and Endorsed by Student Government Association
January 13, 2010
Study Room Description -
Two 8-Seat Group Study Rooms - Upstairs – Available for groups of four or more.
Five 6-Seat Group Study Rooms - Upstairs - Available for groups of three or more.
Two 6-Seat Group Study Rooms – Downstairs - Available for groups of three or more.
“The purpose of the Thrift Library’s Group Study Rooms is to provide a place for small groups of students to engage in collaborative and cooperative study - while protecting the quiet study environment surrounding them.”
Prohibited Use -
In order to ensure adequate student access to the Thrift Library’s group study facilities, reservations will be accepted solely for study groups unless granted special permission by the Library Director.
Reservations will not be accepted for the following -
- Individual use
- Groups of less than 3 or 4
- Reservations of more than one room at a time
- Repetitive use
- Bible studies
- Office space
- Class use
- 3 hour maximum with no renewal when others are waiting.
- Six seat rooms must be reserved for a minimum of three users.
- Eight seat rooms must be reserved for a minimum of four users.
- Bottled water only! No food!
- Noise must be kept to a minimum so as not to disturb others. Rooms are not soundproof!
- Failure to occupy the room within 15 minutes of start time will result in cancellation of reservation.
Reserve Procedure –
- Students may reserve study rooms in advance at the Front Desk or by calling 231-2050.
- Only one reservation may be made at a time.
- Other students may still use the reserved room on a first/come, first/serve basis up until the time reserved.
- Groups may not displace current users of a study room, even single users, without a reservation.
- However they may reserve an "under-occupied" room – one occupied by less than half of its seating, effective 15 minutes after the completion of the reservation.
- In the case of reserving an "under-occupied" room, the librarian will select the most appropriate room and place a reservation notice in its window.
- After posting the reservation notice, the occupant(s) will have 15 minutes to vacate the room.
Open Use Policy -
While the Study Room “Reservation” Policy is purposely restrictive, its “Open Use Policy” is not. Simply stated, “Unreserved rooms may be used on a first/come, first/served basis.” Users must comply with all library and university rules
The 12-seat Stovall Room is not a Study Room and may not be reserved for study purposes. (See Policies for …