The Master of Music in Music Education can be completed entirely online, with optional on-campus workshops and courses offered to address specialized interests of our students.
The program is designed so students can achieve their academic and career goals on their schedule. The online degree courses mimic the on-campus atmosphere by providing students with a learning environment in which they can collaborate and interact with the professor and their peers.
The 30-hour Master of Music in Music Education is designed to enhance effectiveness of music teaching and learning by addressing current best practices in music, contemporary issues, modes of inquiry, and advanced competencies in musicianship. Master of Music in Music Education classes are structured in a convenient 8-week format for working adults, and the entire program can be completed in only 24 months.
The Master of Music in Music Education program consists of 30 credit hours, comprised of the following:
- 15 credit hours of music education courses
- 8-9 hours of supporting courses in music theory, history, and performance
- 6-7 hours in music special topics or education electives
- A portfolio with research/teaching project
- Comprehensive written and oral exams