Below are some of the frequently asked questions about parking on campus. If you have any other questions, please contact Campus Safety at (864) 231-2060.
- How much do parking permits cost and when do they expire?
- How do I acquire a decal?
- If a friend or family member comes to visit, do they need a parking pass?
- As a new student, where am I allowed to park?
- As a freshman, how do I get to my car and back to main campus when required to park at the Athletic Campus?
- What times will the shuttle service operate?
- If I am a freshman student who has to park in the Athletic Campus, how do I load my vehicle to go home?
- When may I park without a parking permit?
- Do I have to place my decal on my bumper?
- What type of decal will I get?
- If I receive a parking ticket, where do I pay it?
- How many parking tickets can I receive?
- How much are parking tickets?
How much do parking permits cost and when do they expire?
There is no cost for student parking decals. Decals are valid from August 1 of each year to August 1 of the following year.
How do I acquire a decal?
All students who choose to have a car on campus must complete the new decal application located within the Self-Service Portal. Once you are logged into Self-Service, click the AU Apps tab at the top of the page where you will find the application for parking decals. Students must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance to have and register a car on campus.
If a friend or family member comes to visit, do they need a parking pass?
Yes, they must register their vehicle with Campus Safety located at the Welcome Center on Kingsley Road at the main entrance of the university. This department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for your convenience. All visitors will be told where to park.
As a new student, where am I allowed to park?
All incoming freshmen resident students will park at the Athletic Campus. Any incoming freshmen commuting students will be considered as Commuters and issued a "C" decal.
As a freshman, how do I get to my car and back to main campus when required to park at the Athletic Campus?
Campus Safety is providing a shuttle service that is scheduled to pick up students needing access to the Athletic Campus for both classes and parking. There are multiple stops on the main campus and a primary stop at the Athletic Campus for students to get on and off.
What times will the shuttle service operate?
The shuttle service will be running from 7:30 AM to 11:00 PM Monday through Friday. The shuttle service will resume at 2 p.m. Sunday nights until 11:30 p.m. Freshmen are allowed to park on the main campus during the weekends unless otherwise notified. Special shuttle requests may be made by calling the posted shuttle telephone number or the Campus Safety Office.
If I am a freshman student who has to park in the Athletic Campus, how do I load my vehicle to go home?
There will be designated loading zones at each residence hall area. The loading zones are 15 minute parking only and will be strictly enforced. Should you need longer than 15 minutes to load your vehicle, please call Campus Safety and request more time. If you are in the appropriate loading zones and obey the time limits, you will not receive a traffic citation. If the loading zones are full, call Campus Safety to request special permission to load and unload your vehicle outside the specified loading areas.
When may I park without a parking pass/decal?
Parking passes/decals are required 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Visitors require a parking pass as well. They need to stop by Campus Safety located at the Welcome Center on Kingsley Road to receive a temporary parking pass at no charge.
Do I have to place my decal on my bumper?
Parking decals must be permanently affixed to either the left rear bumper or on the left rear window.
What type of decal will I get?
Freshman are issued an “F” decal requiring parking at the Athletic Campus from Sundays at 5:30 p.m. through Fridays at 5:30 p.m. Main Campus parking will be allowed outside of these times. Commuter students will receive a "C" decal; this will allow parking in the Commuter parking lots. Resident students will receive an "R" Decal; this will permit students to park in the inner campus resident parking lots and overflow areas, except for freshmen. "B" decals will be for the residents of Boulevard Residence Halls, except for freshmen. "S" decals are for the Stringer Commons residents, except for freshmen.
Faculty and Staff will receive a Faculty/Staff Decal. Contractors will receive a Contractor Pass. Visitors will be issued a Visitor Parking Pass. Parking in Faculty/ Staff spaces on the main campus is permitted on weekends from 5:30 p.m. on Friday until Sunday at 5:30 p.m. Parking in spaces marked as reserved is prohibited. Handicapped parking laws are strictly enforced on campus.
If I receive a parking ticket, where do I pay it?
Parking tickets, with remittance, are to be paid at the Anderson Central Office Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am until 5 pm, and on Friday 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. You may pay with a debit card, credit card, cash, or check. Tickets cannot be charged to your student account.
How many parking tickets can I receive?
You are limited to (5) parking tickets during the entire academic year. If you have (3) unpaid tickets, your vehicle will be booted which will immobilize your vehicle. The boot will not be removed from your vehicle until all tickets are paid. Once you have (5) paid or unpaid parking tickets, your vehicle booted again. If you receive two boots during the academic year, your parking privilege will be revoked for that academic year. You will not be allowed to operate a vehicle on the University property during this time. If your vehicle is located on the campus, it will be towed.
How much are parking tickets?
Parking tickets range in cost depending on the violation. The individual violation costs are listed on the citation.
Visitors are always welcome on campus. Please stop by the Welcome Center on Kingsley Road to get a free parking pass.
Students driving a different car than their AU registered vehicle can obtain a free temporary parking pass at the Campus Safety Office at the Welcome Center. Campus Safety enforces all of the parking regulations on campus. Appeals can be made by following the instructions at the bottom of the citation.
Campus Safety and Physical Plant vehicles are exempt. All other vehicles are subject to being towed away at owner's expense. Designated parking stalls are the only authorized parking spaces.
Please do not stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, unattended, in any of the following places, or conditions:
- Yellow Zones means no parking or stopping at any time.
- Fire Lane/ Hydrant: No parking or stopping at any time (Tow Away Zones).
A. Fire Hydrant: No parking within 18 feet of hydrant.
- Blue Zones (whether marked with a sign or not) are reserved for handicapped parking only, and require a handicap ID placard. User must be in possession of a DMV Placard.
- Designated Faculty/Staff parking (the yellow spaces): No student shall park in areas posted and reserved for Faculty/Staff. (7:30 AM- 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday)
- Visitors Parking: No student, faculty, or staff member shall park in a parking area or space designated for Visitors. (8 AM- 4 PM, Monday - Friday)
- Sidewalk, dirt, lawn, or Landscaped areas may not be used for parking, deliveries, loading, or unloading.
- Vehicles must park within a marked space and never occupy more that one space.
- Motorcycles, Moped, Scooters, and Bicycles must park in designated spaces assigned for those vehicles.
- Unattended Bicycles must be secured with a sturdy lock, or inside living quarters. No storage is permitted in stairwells, or hallways (immediate removal/loss of locking devices).
For more information you can send us an email or call us at (864) 231-2060