Anderson University’s Campus Safety Office invites applications for a full-time position as Director, Campus Safety and Emergency Management. Anderson University is an innovative, entrepreneurial, premier comprehensive, liberal arts university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The university seeks candidates with a strong Christian value system, lifestyle, and commitment to the integration of faith and learning.
The Director will ensure the safety and security of students, employees and guests while they are on the Anderson University campus by managing the functional, administrative, personnel, financial and compliance responsibilities for a continually operating Campus Safety Department in a manner that reflects the University’s vision, mission and values.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of all aspects of University campus safety and emergency management.
- Ensure the effective operation of the Campus Safety department through planning, organizing, directing, and participating in its activities.
- Recommend and promote policies ensuring the physical safety of students, employees and guests of the university.
- Ensure the regulatory compliance of the department and its officers as required by federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, and university policies.
- Delegate tasks and monitor work of department staff to set performance expectations and oversee work completion as identified by the department policies and procedures.
- As the Clery compliance officer for the University, maintain and publish campus safety and crime reports as required by local, state and federal law in addition to posting timely warnings of any ongoing threats to the campus community. Responsible for Clery training for required employees.
- Train the staff in emergency response procedures.
- Responsible for the development, ongoing review and updates to all University emergency plans.
- Oversee the coordination of regular training of all University employees, students and guests in emergency preparedness procedures related to weather, fire, active shooter and any other necessary emergency-related plans.
- Regularly collaborate and coordinate with local law enforcement and emergency service providers.
- Oversee a University safety and emergency management task force comprised of key department stakeholders.
- Regularly present topics related to campus and guest safety for employees, students and guests.
- Direct the Trojan Transit service.
- Serve as Chair/Co-Chair of the University Environmental Health and Safety Management (EHSM) Committee, tasked with oversight of all University efforts to continually improve environmental, health and safety performance, including:
- Support the development of EHSM committee annual goals, policies and programs.
- Advise and instruct on various EHSM safety-related topics.
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures in relation to EHSM policies and practices.
- Initiate and organize EHSM training of employees and students.
- Review and prevent any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy.
Serve as a liaison for the following: Student Development, Facilities & Guest services, Environmental Health & Safety, Title IX and Title VII. Chair the University Safety and Emergency Management Task Force.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 to 10 years related experience in the area of university campus safety, law enforcement, risk/safety management, emergency services or similar field.
- Certification through the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division or qualification through the National Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.
- Experience in making decisions in a command environment.
- Ability to use public relation skills proficiently.
- Must have reasonable knowledge of Federal and state laws and local ordinances.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Submit letter of application, resume, contact information for three professional references and a completed Anderson University Staff application to Gail Tollison - Office Manager, Facilities via: