Anderson University Counseling Center services are available to all full time traditional track students at no additional cost. Referral and emergency services are available at no cost to part time and Adult Studies students. Counseling is a confidential service and is most effective when a student/client can be direct and honest with a counselor without fear that personal information will be shared.
All counseling services are confidential. The Counseling Center is staffed by a team of professionals who adhere to the code of ethics of the American Counseling Association and the South Carolina Licensing Board for Professional Counselors. Counseling records are for the purpose of the counseling staff, handled with professional confidentiality at all times, and maintained under secure office procedures within the Counseling Center. Counseling records are kept separate from the official university records. No counseling information is entered on any official university records or released to others without the student's prior written consent. However, as required by law, specific information must be disclosed to appropriate authorities when there are clear and imminent signs of danger to self or others.
Clients have the right to:
- Receive services regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Receive information about the methods being used, and the training background and credentials of the counselor.
- Refuse treatment at any time.
- Request a change in assigned counselor.
- File a complaint about services with the Counseling Director and/or with the Vice President of Student Development.